Thursday 24 October 2013

How to make a cuddle doll - Part 2


Ok - as promised, here is the next part where we see the doll coming together.

Now we ready to stuff the legs. I use a combination of wool batting and Merino wool knops to get a soft, cuddly stuffing.




The legs are then gathered at the waist and sewn onto the body. Then the feet are made by running a small gathering stitch around the 'ankles'.



The arms are then sewn with neat stitches onto the legs.


Now it is time to make the hands. The hands are sewn on the sewing machine with a stretch stitch and then trimmed to shape.



The hands are now firmly stuffed with more wool and tied with lined thread.



Next the hand is rolled in a length of wool batting and this is used to stuff the arm.



The hand is sewn in place at the sleeve.


We are nearly finished! For this doll I wanted to experiment with some embroidery stitches for sewing on the hat. Here I am using herringbone embroidery stitch. 


Here is the finished doll. I hope you have enjoyed reading about the way the doll is made. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested in attending a workshop or have a request for a special doll in mind.

I have one more workshop before Christmas, starting on 6th November.

Best wishes

Sam

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing how to make your beautiful rainbow cuddle doll!

    It's a brilliant tutorial and when I've finished a Waldorf doll I'm already making for my son, I will have to start on this one!

    Thanks so much!

    X x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy
      Thanks for the feedback. Best of luck with your doll making. S

      Delete
  2. Hi love the doll! Do you have the pattern for it?

    Thanks,
    Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete