Friday 3 May 2013

Doll love

I love making dolls.

Here are a few of my favourites that I have made.



I discovered this type of doll through attending my local Steiner Playgroup. The dolls at playgroup were different, made from natural fabrics with simple features. I bought a book on dollmaking and made my first doll for my daughter's 3rd birthday.

What I discovered when I made my first doll was that there is much more to a doll than merely fabric and sewing.

As the doll is formed it starts to take on a personality, a character. I was genuinely surprised by this and totally fell in love with making dolls.

However, it is when you give the doll to a child, the real magic begins.

Evie and Lily

When I make dolls, I make sure I have time and am not rushed and therefore have only started regularly making dolls for others fairly recently now my children are a little older.

I usually have an idea as a starting point but stay open to the character of the doll coming through. 

Sometimes the finished doll will be quite different from the idea that first started.

I currently have some dolls looking for good homes, either at our Felt shop or you can visit some in person if you are local at a very special little shop called Forest Folk.


Doll Making Classes

I am very happy to have the opportunity to share my doll making skills with you in 'Doll Making Classes' held together with the Titirangi Rudolf Steiner School craft group. 

"It is a beautiful thing to craft a doll with your own hands, sew it together with love, then make a gift of it to your child with these words 'I made this for you!'"(Sara McDonald, Magic Cabin Dolls).

If you are interested learning doll making then please get in touch - all the details are below. There is a limit of 6 places this time. All proceeds go to the school.

 



Best wishes

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment